RIIMPO324A – Conduct Civil Construction Grader Operations
The purpose of our Grader operations course is to provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary to safely operate a grader across many work sites in Australia. At Gallmac, we have created a detailed training plan in a small class setting allowing for a more personalised experience with our highly competent and proficient trainers.
A grader is a self-propelled construction vehicle with an adjustable blade primarily used in the construction of roads to create a flat smooth surface prior to the laying of asphalt. Graders, in some cases, have a scarifying option where the underlying surface layer is ripped up using a fork type attachment know as a scarifier.
This course will teach you how to plan a job and prepare a site for grader operations, conduct routine operational checks, operate a grader in changing conditions, choose and fit the attachment suitable to the job being carried out, prepare to relocate a scraper between sites and lastly maintain a clean work environment.
All aspects of this course will be taught by our knowledgeable and enthusiastic trainers through theoretical and practical teachings at our onsite facility in Brisbane. The course material will include, but is not limited to the following;
- Health and safety regulations, standards and site policies and procedures
- Hazard identification, risk assessment and measures used to control them
- Routine operational checks of a grader and its equipment
- Operating a grader using numerous techniques
- Capabilities and limitations of grader attachments
- Maintenance and isolation procedures
- Relocation of a grader between sites
- Traffic management requirements
- Personal protective equipment and emergency procedures
- Earthwork calculations
- All methods of communication in the workplace
In successful completion of this course, students will be capable in demonstrating the following;
- Identify, monitor and report hazards in the workplace in line with safe work practices
- Assess the possible risks and implement the necessary control measures using the hierarchy of controls
- Carry out before and after operational checks such as pre-start and shut down checks
- Operate a grader using the various techniques suited to changing ground conditions
- Complete grader operations including trimming road surfaces, maintaining roads and scarifying
- Select, fit and remove the appropriate attachments for the specific task being carried out
- Conduct maintenance duties on a grader and associated equipment
- Identify plant and equipment faults, isolate and report according to site procedures
- Relocate a grader to a designated area observing traffic codes and requirements along the way
- Recognise the different soil types and their compaction for grader activities
- Effectively communicate with all workplace personnel and ensure communication equipment such as signage and two-way radios are adhered to.
- Comply with relevant health and safety legislation and workplace policies and procedures
- Understand manufacturer’s specifications relevant to the graders operating capacity.
The successful candidate will possess the necessary skills to safely operate a grader in compliance with all obligatory regulations across many industries in Australia including the construction and mining industries.
The support and guidance provided by our industry trainers will ensure you are confidently prepared for multiple job opportunities that come your way.
Phone: 0420 583 297
Email: Email Us