RIIMPO325A – Conduct Civil Construction Scraper Operations
Gallmac have created an extensive training plan for our Scraper operations course giving students the skills and knowledge required to successfully operate a scraper on multiple work sites across Australia. Our training is provided in a small class setting offering students the much needed time to participate in our practical training, essential for hands-on scraper operations in the real world.
A scraper is a large piece of equipment primarily used on construction sites for removing unnecessary materials from the grounds surface. It consists of a vertically moveable hopper with a sharp horizontal front edge at the back that can be lowered and raised hydraulically. As the scraper moves forward, the material is scraped up with the blade and placed in the hopper, once the hopper is full, the load is transported to a designated area and the hopper is emptied.
This training will teach you how to plan and prepare a job for scraper activities, operate a scraper over different terrain, conduct operational checks of a scraper, co-ordinate activities with other operators during coupling, relocate a scraper between work sites and lastly maintain a hazard free clear work site.
Training will be provided at our onsite facility in Brisbane through theoretical and practical teachings and will include, but is not limited to the following;
- Hazard identification, risk assessment and control implementation
- WHS and all other obligatory legislation and workplace policies and procedures
- Operating techniques of a scraper
- Routine operational checks
- Capabilities and limitations of a scraper
- Refuelling, Maintenance duties and isolate procedures
- Traffic management requirements
- Emergency procedures
- Personal protective equipment
- Relocation of a scraper
- Characteristics of materials and their compaction
- Earthwork calculations
- All forms of communication in the workplace
The successful candidate will be competent in carry out the following;
- Identify and monitor potential hazards in the workplace and report according to site procedures
- Assess the risks and implement the necessary control measure using the hierarchy of controls to avoid hazards from reoccurring
- Conduct all routine operational checks before and after operating a scraper
- Operate a scraper in many work environments and adjust techniques accordingly
- Complete scraper operations including stripping materials from the grounds surface to a specified depth, cutting and filling of materials and stockpiling
- Co-ordinating activities with other operators during coupling for greater efficiency
- Carry out maintenance on machinery and associated equipment
- Detect any faults and isolate according to workplace procedures
- Recognise the different materials and their density and compaction
- Estimate safe working loads and earthwork calculations
- Document relevant information related to scraper operations in line with site policies and procedures
- Communicate effectively with co-workers in the workplace and other scraper operators particularly during coupling, ensure proper use of communication equipment such as two-way radios and signage
On successful completion of this course, students will have the required skills and hands-on practical experience to carry out scraper operations in compliance with all obligatory regulations.
Our highly experienced and competent trainers at Gallmac will ensure you are confidently prepared and site-ready to gain employment across many industries including the construction and mining industries.
Phone: 0420 583 297
Email: Email Us